Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Improper English

For 14 years, I worked in Pharmaceutical Research and Development. I had to speak and write proper English. The majority of my correspondence was with physicians and nurses. Okay, here's my point. The writing on Facebook is driving me crazy. I have seen posts that have: 1) misspelled words (not typos), 2) no punctuation, 3)no capitalization. I asked my husband to try and help me figure out the meaning of a post that contained all of the above. It took us awhile, but we did it. It's really scary when someone is using their site for both business and personal contacts and clearly chose not to pay attention during Grammar School. I don't know if people are uneducated, lazy or just don't care.

Now we move to acronyms. Is there a book one can purchase to figure this out? If I see a post with acronyms I don't know, I just don't bother with it. It took me six months before I could use lol and I only use it on occasion. u r was even hard for me to write here. Although acronyms are a pain in the ass, there is one I use, wtf.

IMHO

Beth

1 comment:

  1. OMG LMAO...Seriously, I agree with you..sometimes the acronyms befuddle me, I try to figure them out ( like the license plate ones) but then I give up. And once you enter twitterdom it's rampant. I may be guilty of a few of your gripes when I text, because I text rarely, can't figure out how to capitalize letters,am a freak :)

    Rene

    ReplyDelete